Sunday, April 22, 2012

Baked Risotto

With a new born around the house it has been hard to make the same foods we ate before I was pregnant. One dish we love is risotto, and anyone who knows about risotto it is very time consuming. You are chained to the stove stirring rice for a good 45 minutes and having a newborn does not allow me much free time.



I saw a recipe for baked risotto on a cooking channel so I began to look at different recipes and started to make my own combination.


Ingredients
1 ½ cup arbor rice (I make a lot because we love it for left ovens)
Olive oil
Tablespoon garlic
Tablespoon heavy cream
1 cup white wine
5 cups chicken broth
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Asparagus, peas or anything else you would like to add (shrimp, pancetta etc.)


I prefer to roast my asparagus before hand. I feel it gives the veggie a deeper flavor. I cut the asparagus in thirds and on a cookie sheet sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper. I place the cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 15 min. After the first 15 min. I take the asparagus out and re-toss to make sure everything is properly coated and place it in the oven for another 15 min. Once done I set aside.


You will need a Dutch oven to prepare the risotto. I don’t know exact measurements so bare with me. Drizzle approx 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of the Dutch oven, add garlic and rice to toast. The rice does not take long to toast, approx 2-3 minutes. Feel free to also add onion, currently I am trying to limit onion and garlic in my diet because I am breastfeeding.


Once the rice is toasted add white wine and stir. While you are toasting the rice in a separate pot start to warm up the two cups of chicken stock and reverse the other three cups. Once chicken stock is at a slight simmer pour into Dutch oven, give a quick stir before placing into the oven.


Place Dutch oven in preheated oven for 425 degrees. Let cook for 10 minutes, take risotto out and stir if needed add ½ cup of the remaining chicken stock. Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Take risotto out and add remaining chicken stock, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Add more chicken stock if you like your risotto a bit more moist. Then, add asparagus or whatever veggie or protein you prefer.



The finished product in.


The bowl for my husband. He likes alot of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment